Monday, March 28, 2011

domestic changes

We have this past week been experiencing some rather long needed and certainly long delayed changes on the domestic front. Our unintended co-sleeping with youngest is now over. Only some 2 years later.

You can surmise from this that we tend not to be hasty making changes in this family, and well, you would be right. I have realised it is perhaps a personal trait of mine. I would have thought that I was a person who copes well with change and actually enjoys it. But I am wondering if I am not (three country changes, 3 children, and a dog in 8 years later). There are many indicators that this may be the case, even though on the surface I look unruffled and easy going with change. I have, however, recently realised that I tend to spend a lot of time thinking about a change. I visualise it over a terribly long period before I actually do anything. The doing tends not to take very long at all, but that thought process can be as long as a year. When I do it, I am totally at zen with it, surprise surprise. I mean, who wouldn't be with that amount of mental preparation! But really, is it really necessary to take a year to think like that. In some ways I guess it means potentially I am going to have a lot of changes in my life, if every year we make changes, but on another level I am realising that I am not spontaneous at all. These bedroom changes I have been brooding over for about a year. The thought process on the kitchen changes might even have taken longer than a year. Argh, yes, that's right, this might also be called procrastination. Yes, I am a Master of Procrastination, obviously. There are more changes afoot, but really, don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen, you'll die.

So on the home front we now have E in her own bedroom. The dining room has been converted to a her little girl domaine. While I talk of ending co-sleeping, it has not been as easy as now I don't sleep with her, it just means that now I sleep much of the evening in her bed rather than hers in mine. But hey, it is a step towards (who knows where) I guess. Oh and she did inform me that she does not like her babies bed. I bought her a wooden bed for her dolls, that I painted a really lovely deep red colour, or that is lovely from my perspective. She does not like it as 'it is not pink'. My heart sank, and I think so did her father's, as she repeated to him. Her favourite colour is pink, her favourite animal a horse, she wants to be a ballerina and she only wears dresses. I never thought I would have one, but it appears E is as sugar and spice and all things nice as her brothers are snips and snails and puppy dog tails. I really thought with two older rambuctious brothers she would be mostly tomboy with a touch of girl, when infact she is all girl with maybe just the tiniest bit of acquisance to boys things, mostly because they insist and she seems relatively easy going at the moment, not because it is her choice.
the despised 'not pink' baby bed

The boys have a bunk bed, and somehow way more room in their bedroom now. They have spent the whole of their lives sleeping together, often wound around and tangled in each other like little puppies. I was a little sad to think they no longer had their double bed and would now be sleeping individually, H on top, O on bottom as they decided. Crazy really, and now I wonder why I even thought it would be so conventional and automatic to take a bed each. No, while the beds are allocated, it appears they are just taking turns sleeping together in either of the beds; the first day saw them both asleep on the top and the next together on the bottom. It generally rotates as such. Oh and ofcourse we don't cosleep with them either, I have never, not even all of last week (after the earlier part of the evening being in their sister's bed) ended up in one (usually the bottom one) of their new single beds with a boy on either side, all of us lying on our sides to fit, and there is no way S woke up in their bed this morning at all. AND there is no way that the parental bed was actually empty last night...

pictures of new beds to follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment