Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Kate Atkinson

I thought it might be of some interest, and a record for me, to mention who and what I am reading. I have the most unfortunate habit of never remembering authors names, and sometimes even forgetting book titles, even if I loved the book. So here is my attempt to keep track a little. One of my recent interests has been in Kate Atkinson. Years ago I read Behind the Scenes at the Museum, which I really loved and sits now in our bookshelf catching my eye frequently, so I thought it time to revive my interest and seek out some of her other titles. Human Croquet, Case Histories and When Will There Be Good News were all great recent reads. Unfortunately I can no longer sit and devour a book in a day as I wanted to do with all these titles, long gone is that freedom, but I have discovered that breast feeding is a perfect time for picking up a book and managing a couple of chapters at a time (or even just one, or a half if that be the case). All of these books share a commonality with the theme of untimely deaths in children, complex relationships unravel slowly, and timelines are broken and nonlinear reeling you in with fascination and desire to piece together the puzzle that is each character and how they fit together. You won't be disappointed!

Stay tuned for my next author, delving back in time to the evidently forgotten brilliance of Stefan Zweig...

No comments:

Post a Comment