Monday, March 16, 2009

Vaux Le Vicomte






This is us visiting my new favourite Chateau, Vaux Le Vicomte. While we did not go into the castle, next time we will, it is fully furnished and supposedly beautiful, we did wander the gardens and enjoy the serenity and majesty of this magnificent place. It is probably a little early in the year to really capture the spendour of the gardens (plus the scaffolding on half the chateau), but give it another month and I am sure spring will make its mark, and this place will be divine for the tourist or local seeking something special. The castle has a rather tragic story, with the downfall of Fouquet, imprisoned for a crime he did not commit at the hands of jealousy. The gardens were designed by André le Notre, and I read that Fouquet and le Notre found a perfect harmony between architecture and the environment. I guess that is what happened, as all I know is that I loved the place and felt so happy to be there, feeling now that it worked its harmonising magic on me.
There are candle light evenings all through summer, fountain displays, costumes (princes, knights and musketeers) available to hire for the kids, a beautiful display of carriages in the stables and soon an Easter egg hunt for children which I will not be missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment